Friday, August 16, 2013

Home :: Zen Cart News :: Strip, Shimmy, Smile: How I Became A Burlesque Dancer

Marigold Rubber Gloves made the successful transition to high fashion.
‘Strip, shimmy and smile!’ – Are a burlesquer’s staple moves misogynistic, feminist, or who-damn-cares-ist? My curious mind and adventurous spirit led me down the route of burlesque dancer in September last year, and, though I’m taking an extended break, I’ve never looked back.
The archaic 19th Century artful, mocking striptease show. Why is it back with such a bang? Why do modern women love watching, and performing it so much? Empowerment, fun, comedy, love of theatre, cabaret, self-expression, conveying a political or art-based inspiration, liberation, ecstasy, or just pure damn curiosity – these are all reasons you should try burlesque. Yes, you! Man or woman! Slinky and svelte or carrying a couple of extra pounds and a few dimples! One of my favourite burlesque dancers is the curvy, bouncy, delicious Effie Vescent. I recommend checking her out. Google her, book her for a birthday party. Oh my god, that’s such a good idea.
The key is to take what you want from it, be in control and do it for you no-one else. If you can make a career of it, then wow, go you. I couldn’t. I had a full-time job and was working damn hard at my other – well, main – career: being a journalist. This was my escapism, my glamour, my vice, my awkward-silence-filler. Hey, it was my hobby, like any other. You like horse-riding? I was into burlesque, Lolita Clothing.
Written By: http://www.zentaiworks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment